Filmed live at the Hive, Atlanta, Georgia, on December 16, 2020.
– Reminder when thinking about the numbers: divide the number of available doses by two because this is a 2-dose vaccine.
– How many people will return for the second shot? Hint: the answer is a not small number! Data from other 2-dose vaccines (e.g., the shingles vaccine) says 15 out of 100 people do not return. That’s a lousy 85% 2nd dose Shingrix compliance.
– More than 1 in 4 (28%) are afraid of needles
– US Population 350M. We need 245M to be vaccinated or immune to achieve herd immunity (assuming 70% is the accurate goal).
– Pfizer doses + Moderna doses + already ill = still need 60M more people vaccinated to reach the goal of herd immunity.
– What if you get only that 1st shot? For the Pfizer vaccine, that’s only 50% efficacy.
How do we reach those 60M more people to get to herd immunity? We have to address needle fear and needle pain to reach these 60M. Dr. Baxter tips her science hat to Dr. Chris France and explains his is elegant research on return blood donation. The feeling of lightheadedness, nausea, weakness or fainting that can accompany needles is more likely with fear, and is highly correlated with intent to return for a second identical procedure.
“How do you feel about needles?” Asking this question of anyone in line for the COVID-19 vaccine may increase success. Dr. Baxter covers an easy flowchart to help the patient whether the challenge is needle pain or needle fear.
Buzzy and VibraCool are FDA registered 510(k) cleared to Control pain associated with injections, venipuncture, IV starts, cosmetic injections and the temporary relief of minor injuries (muscle or tendon aches, splinters and bee stings). Also intended to treat myofascial pain caused by trigger points, restricted motion and muscle tension.
Dr. Amy Baxter, MD, bio & more pain relief options here: https://paincarelabs.com/resources/power-over-pain/
Dr. Amy Baxter directs innovation, invention, and strategy for Pain Care Labs. Accomplishments include international thought leadership on pain management and acute opioid reduction, multiple NIH SBIR Fast-Tracks, eight issued patents, multiple first author textbook chapters and journal publications, and successful 510K FDA clearances. After graduating from Yale University and Emory Medical School, as a double-boarded pediatric emergency physician, Dr. Baxter founded PEMA Emergency Research, created and validated the BARF pediatric nausea scale cited in fifty studies, and founded Pain Care Labs. Recognition includes Forbes Ten Healthcare Disruptors, Inc. Top Women in Tech to Watch, Top 10 Innovative and Disruptive Women in Healthcare, a Wall Street Journal “Idea Person”, and the Most Innovative CEO of 2014 from Georgia Bio. National and international lecturing highlights include MakerFaire, AARP, and TEDMED. On Homeolux Board of Directors. Also known for turning down Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank.